Wednesday, October 13, 2010

todays thoughts


lounging in the loft
I have heard that life in the tropics is slow and easy but I have never been one to sit around.  As much as I like to do things, I find my slef just lounging in Bali.  It makes sense that in a place that has 12 hour days would be consistent.  6:30am sun rises and so does Vaughn.  6:30pm its dark and we wind up the day.   Slow and easy.  As those of you know who have lived in very hot humid places moving quickly about is not a reality. 
sometimes we just watch the geckos
 I go to the clinic everyday and of course rush there for any births but other than that I don't have many responsibilities.  All of my regular and daily chores are all taken care of.  3 women cook, clean and do laundry.  I would have told you this would be a dream come true and I do love it but there are times when I need to do the dishes.   I realize how grounding washing dishes can be.  I stand in one place, doing a repetitive motion with the sound of running water.  A domestic meditation if you will .  I don't think Lihat minds at all when I do the breakfast dishes.  I have also somewhat befriended the ladies them so I try to be respectful with how much mess we leave.  I am not bu nature a neat and tidy person but I feel so conscious of if now that Ayu comes in my room everyday to sweep, mop, and make the beds.  I try to tidy before she gets there.  I hope she never looks in the clothes closet. 

completed monkeys
I have taken language before.  I have taken and failed German.  I tried Spanish and did a little better.  Sign Langaged I did excell at but I hear it is not considered a forgien lagnuage.  Now I am taking Indonesian and I am good at it!!   I love learning Indonesian.  SO easy- no past, present future.  no he/ she.  No male/ female words. One word can mean many things.  For example di I am doing pretty good.  Everyone is happy when you try at all and most people here speak some "Ingrish".  Finn and Harmon are motivated to try speaking Indonesian if they can buy junk at the shops.  They have figured out for about !,000 rupia (12 cents) they can get 3 oreos.  Finn suggested he might find some work so he could have a little spending money!  Both  will probably become expert market goers by the end of the trip.
The boys are continuing on with woodcarving.  The monkeys are finished and now on to cats.  Harmon really wants to do a gecko but apparently that's really hard.  He is persistent so I am sure he will get Dadee to help him make one.  We also found out Bapak (which means elder man/ grandfather) from the front of the compound is an accomplished carver.  He saw the boys monkeys and brought over one of his own.  I think he was confused why our monkeys only had hair on their heads.  He kept gesturing that there was more work to do!  
blessing the bikes

A few days ago was a day to bless all things metal.  What we have learned is they don't celebrate individual birthday's but they so birthdays or blessings of everything else- animals, plants, objects, places ect.  So on the day of blessing everything metal all the cars and scooters were covered in offerings.  This guarantees safe transport on your bike or car.  I do not know how to make offerings yet and was feeling quite concerned that i could not bless our wonky scooter.  If any scooter on the road needed blessing it would be ours.  Luckily someone- probably Ayu made a blessing for our bike and I feel much safer riding it. In fact I drove on my own today.  It was so fun and hard to drive on the left.  I think I will tie a ribbon on my left wrist as a reminder!
love to you all
erin and family

1 comment:

  1. wow!
    thank you for the wonderful photos...joah star will be especially psyched to see her long lost family of o'harmons.
    keep thriving, my friends.
    you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete