Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ducks and a white dog




I may have had an auspicious event occur in a few nights ago.  I am not sure because it hasn’t been explained to me fully but what do you think?

typical mangy mutt
I was getting ready to walk home one night from the clinic about 3am.  I don’t relish the walk because the dogs bark viciously from dark doorways.  Because I do the walk so often now they don’t bother getting up but the barking is unnerving.  So on this night I went out to find a beautiful well taken care of dog. (This is rare here.  Most dogs are a sad sight).  He was white and very fluffy and seemed friendly.  I shooed him away but he wouldn’t leave.  I went back to the clinic to get food to toss to him to distract him so I could disappear into the dark but he wasn’t interested (unheard of). 
 Finally I decided to head home.  He walked very close to me and kept whining and nuzzling my skirt.  I stamped my foot and told him to go home.  That usually does the trick.  The dogs are not friendly here and scare off easily.  But he was stead fast in walking me home- all the way.  I would not let him up the stairs to the compound.  I didn’t want the house dogs to go nuts barking and wake everyone.  I told him he couldn’t come in.  I told him he was safe and it would be ok if he stayed outside.  He agreed and lay down in the middle of the road.  The next morning I told Ayu and Ibu Sangeh about the dog.  They gave each other the eye over and over and ask me many questions.  They seemed particularly interested in his color and fur.  In the end Ayu said “A duck died yesterday in the storm.  The big thunder killed it.”  She went and wrote it on the calendar.  What do you think?
the remaining ducks.  note we have not had duck for lunch yet.
Life is starting to seem normal.  Yet the beauty here gives me lots to be thankful for.  I am enjoying every moment here.  Today I was scootering with Harmon.  He sits in front of me and talks non stop.  I can't hear a word but he seems happy enough.  We went to market to start a little Christmas shopping.  Of course once there he was more interested in a shirt and sarong for himself.  Great taste that one.  He is amazing at haggling at the market.  He has a total poker face.  He looks at an item then puts it back with a shurg and turns to walk away.  I couldn't tell if he wanted the cat or not.  Later he said "Mama you can't act like you want it or you won't get a good price."  Stone face- I am not looking forward to seeing that face at 16.  

Harmon new shirt and sarong


I could/ can sleep with a rooster crowing outside my window.  Even my embarrassment of my mess room no longer really affects me (sorry dad).  The constant holidays and ceremonies seem like the norm.   I look forward to a few cold showers a day.  I can overlook a few ants in my sugar bowl/ coffee cup.  I even consulted the list of auspicious days to see if there was a better day to travel or get my hair done.(see bottom for full list)  It seemed so natural and as it turns out both happen this month.  James lounges in his sarong.  Vaughn ask for milk in a mix of Indonesian and English.  We drink sweat and wash with Medicaid soap...
mmmmmm. sweat taste good.

 
Is it possible that in 8 weeks I could adjust so quickly and feel so at home in a place that is so foreign from anything I have ever known?  Maybe Zen is easier here.  I feel very much in the now.    I feel so little stress here even with the language barrier and lack some comforts from home.  It here is so calm and easy.  The weather is consistent, the days are the same 6am-6pm, and the people are always friendly.  Of course, I realize this trip is a long vacation with some work thrown in but I don’t see others that are stressed here either.  It’s the draw of Bali. The people smile readily and will help you even before you ask.  The other day Finn and I were riding just to see the next village over.  When I pulled over to turn around a man stopped his bike and wanted to know where I was going and gave me very specific directions on how to get home.  Now I am not sure I would want to need to get something done in a hurry.  Bali time is very rubbery.

beautiful
  

Auspicious Days this month
Propose to a girl 1, 10, 14,18,21,24, 28
To make a bee hive 1, 30
Start planting rice 2, 4, 8, 10,16, 24,31
Put rice into the barn 2, 11, 13, 22, 29
To go hunting 3, 13, 19
Start business 6, 12
To put roof on house 8, 9, 27
To cut hair 8, 22, 29
To purify ourselves 15, 27


To make offerings for rice 11, 24
Start learning 19, 28



I forgot to post a picture of Pastika last time.  Here he is with the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment