Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Saying Bye to Bali

hiking in paradise
On Jan 20th we had to say goodbye to Bali to head to New Zealand.  Our last day was full of last minute getting ready.  A bunch of folks came over to eat with us and wave us off.  Just when we had ordered our food to be delivered, James checked the itinerary.  It seems we left and hour and a half sooner than I had thought.  Boy that 24 hour clock really stumps me.  I guess its good I was never in the military.  (Although there are probably a few other reasons I wouldn't have done well in that institution.  Just ask my dad.)  So suddenly we needed to leave in 5 minutes!  The whole crowd grabbed bags, canceled food, called the drivers and wisk us to the road.  I was dreading saying goodbye to this beautiful country and more beautiful people.  Now there was no time.  We had to leave immediately or miss our flight.  As we were driving away, I looked at all the folks waving and dissolved into tears.  It seemed unreal to leave.  Bali has made its way into my heart.  Just as everyone said "You can't leave.  You belong here."  Its true.  I am in love with the roosters, the thatched roofs, the cheap incense, the flowers falling from the trees, the smell of frangipani just after a rain, rice paddies, coconuts, hot and humid heat, the scooters flying about, ceremonies, offerings, color color everywhere, palm trees, smiling people everywhere I look.
Not to mention Bumi Sehat.  Here is a place dedicated to helping people and making a difference.  Robin says it is her gift to peace on earth and indeed it that and more.  Educating people, birthing babies, medical care for all and on and on.
There were multiple moments in Bali when I would find myself grinning and feel bliss washing over me.  I have heard of enlightenment and I might argue I found it here in glimpses and smiles.  In the Vortex.

swimming in a waterfall
vaughn with elly.  they played everyday together

How to say goodbye to this. 
paradise

I felt short of breath as the plane took off.  I wondered if I had made a mistake in leaving.  I fell into a fitful sleep. The Sydney Airport was  rude awakening to the western world.  oh my.  It was hard to hold back the tears.  We arrived to a stormy New Zealand.  The weather quite matching my reluctance.  At James's sisters house I looked out the window and thought of my friends in Bali and I saw this.

The tears flowed freely.

1 comment: